Pages

Monday 23 December 2013

Vacation Vanity

I find applying makeup on holiday a near chore-like experience. Unsurprisingly, attempting to apply a foundation three shades to light, to tomato-coloured skin isn't an easy task. Over the last year or so I have trialled and tested a few tips and tricks to make vacation vanity a little smoother.
First and foremost the most important thing to pack in your suitcase is suncream. It is said time and time again how important it is to protect your skin from the sun and even if you are someone, like myself, who likes to return home with a tan, be sure to regularly apply suncream, particularly on the face. If nothing else, your makeup will apply much smoother when your skin isn't peeling.
Foundation doesn't make the cut in my holiday makeup bag. Mostly because I despise wearing it in the humidity and it does absolutely nothing for the face when it's melting off your skin. Instead, to combat any redness, I like to apply a green primer and I always find not wearing anything on my face does it the world of good.


After this step I tend to apply a matte bronzer to the parts of my face that the sun naturally hits - the nose, cheekbones and chin - which will further cover any redness. After this step I won't do anything else to my face.

As much as I love the classic red lip, I find that holiday skin just doesn't lend itself to the colour. Instead, I like to skip the Taylor Swift red and apply a moisturising, nude lip pencil, like this one from Nars. 

Nars Satin Lip Pencil - Floralies

For eyes, cream eye shadows are my best friend. I love the Maybelline Colour Tattoos and paired with a good eye primer and your makeup will not budge.



Maybelline Colour Tattoo - On and On Bronze

Stick to bronzes and golds and you can't go wrong - either of the first two Naked palettes are perfect for this and are perfect for any eye colour.


Finally, a good waterproof mascara is brilliant for combatting panda eyes and is a great response to the humidity. I'd steer clear of liquid eye liner as I always find it can ruin the makeup I've just done but using a dark brown eye shadow on the upper lash line does the same job of opening up the eye.


I find these tips really help in the hot weather when I do chose to apply some makeup. I would just like to include that this makeup is only something I apply at night and during a day at the beach, I find makeup quite unnecessary and is far, far better for the skin. 

I thought I'd finish off this post with a few pictures from our holiday so far...



No comments:

Post a Comment